RailWorks is a growing enterprise that works on some of the most prominent and complex rail transportation projects in North America. We seek capable, motivated college students who are interested in jump-starting their careers by gaining real-world construction industry experience.The RailWorks Internship program is open to full time college/university students, in their sophomore, junior or senior years, pursuing a bachelor’s degree and enrolled in an accredited program focusing on the rail construction and maintenance fields. The areas of civil, mechanical, electrical and/or project management engineering provide an excellent background for the internship program.
To properly understand how construction/maintenance works, interns will work with field crews to take part in, first hand, the actual construction experience, work with construction equipment and assist with duties such as material ordering and handling, and become familiar with drawings, charts and construction terminology. As assignment to work in one or several areas such as estimating, project management, drafting, bid proposals preparation, order/material management, contracts, and safety, depending upon availability, will also be part of the program.
The internship program is generally 12 to 16 weeks in length, depending upon available projects and the time commitment available from the intern. Project assignments include railroad, industrial and rail transit project sites across North America.
• A full-time college/university students pursuing a bachelor’s degree and enrolled in an accredited program focusing on the railroad/construction/maintenance fields
• Must be a student in a good standing with their college/university
• Have a sincere desire to gain experience in and knowledge of the company and industry
• Excellent interpersonal skills with the desire and ability to work will all levels of the organization
• Proficient in Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
• Read, understand and follow RailWorks’ values
• Approach assignments with enthusiasm
• Ability and desire to do physical labor when and where necessary
• Be able to work independently and as a member of a team
• Ability to multi-task and prioritize in an environment where numerous tasks and projects occur simultaneously and continually change
• Works outdoors at construction sites
• Performs physical activities that require considerable use of the arms and legs and moving the whole body, such as standing, climbing, lifting, balancing, walking, stooping, bending and handling of materials, equipment and tools
• Uses hands and fingers to grasp, manipulate, and/or assemble objects and tools
• Lifts, pushes, pulls, and carries heavy objects, machinery and tools up to 50 pounds
• Exposed to harsh weather conditions including very hot and very cold weather
• Exposed to loud noise
• May be exposed to live track/trains and high voltage
• Must wear appropriate safety equipment, such as safety glasses, safety boots, hard hats, and hearing protection, as required by the company
This job description is not intended to represent a complete, comprehensive list of all duties and responsibilities that may be required in this position. There may be unplanned activities and other duties as assigned.
North America's leader in Track and Transit & Systems construction and maintenance services.RailWorks Corporation builds and maintains rail transportation infrastructure that keeps people and goods moving across the United States and Canada.We provide railway construction and railroad maintenance services for a range of clients, from major transit authorities and transportation agencies, to industries served by rail, ports, waterways and utilities, to railroads of all sizes.
ASM International is the world's largest association of metals-centric materials engineers and scientists. We are dedicated to informing, educating, and connecting the materials community to solve problems and stimulate innovation around the world.
ASM World Headquarters 9639 Kinsman Road Materials Park, OH 44073-0002